Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9: Bat Attack

The Bat Story
One Saturday evening, on July 9th, we had a national friend come over. Things were going really well. We had dinner together and then Nathan began to bathe the girls. E was curious about the bathing process, because in Indonesia kids don't have warm water and don't play with toys when bathed. However, the bath process for our girls is very much an American cultural moment. After Nadia was bathed Nathan and E took Nadia to her room and Nathan started to put her on the changing table, but there was a bat!

Ok, now lets back up a few days...
We get home from our travels on Sunday. Monday morning we saw poop just in a small area below Nadia's a/c. We thought it was rat droppings, so we asked one of our friends if he'd close the hole that was used to drain the a/c. Then Tuesday morning the same thing happened. That evening as we were laying Nadia down for the evening we saw a webbed foot stick out between the wall and the a/c. Oh no! We realized it was a bat! So we were trying to figure out how we were going to get the bat out. We were going to call the a/c guys.

Now, we are back to Saturday night...
The bat was bloody from trying to escape the a/c and now the hole that once was there for them to leave from was closed off...he was trapped. Nathan had Nadia, and so he asked for E to grab the bat. Bare hands and all, E takes the bat from the room and takes it outside. I'm in the midst of doing the dishes and E comes into tell me there was a bat on Nadia's changing table. Oh boy! So, they start investigating the a/c. They saw two more bats in the a/c! I keep the girls out in the living room and I tell them they have to keep Nadia's door shut, to contain the bats.

Every once in awhile I'd ask how they were doing. Then E brings out the first bat. It's a baby bat! No wonder they were up there, they were expanding their bat family. Well, now they had to get the other two bats out. So there are four bats, two have been confiscated, put into a plastic bag. I hear some commotion again and check on them. A little while later, they got the other two bats. Remember, this is after being in a non-a/c'd, closed off room, for at least a good hour. They both are sweating and high on adrenaline. Nathan maneuvers the a/c unit to put it back on and lo and behold two more bats fly out! I hear them yelling something at me. I peak in the door and I see Nathan swinging the curtain rod at a flying bat! "Get a broom!" they say. I ran to get the broom. I check first to see if it's safe to open up the door. Nathan had knocked down the bat with the curtain rod and E had bagged another bat. Then E said, "I saw three bats fly out." Nathan only saw two. We are now up to six bats. E looks around Nadia's room in search for the bat that he thinks came out. He found it! It was hiding by Nadia's swing. Yeah!!! They got the a/c back up and saved the day! It was a ferocious fight, but they were victorious...our heroes!
~
Getting ready to figure out a way to get the bats out!
~
the baby bat
~
All the bats in bags! Bye-bye bats!
~
We all are thankful our friend E came over tonight. Bat catching wasn't part of the plan, but yeah they saved Nadia! Naomi and Nora were happy too.


No comments: